I hope that the school year has started in an enjoyable and successful way for all of you. Students and teachers have been working together to create warm, safe, and supportive learning communities in classrooms and in our whole school. We are grateful for the opportunity to partner with you in helping your children become independent and capable students who love learning and collaborate well with others. The journey through the elementary years, from preschool to middle school, is a significant time of academic and social-emotional growth, and we take seriously the call to think strategically, plan thoroughly, teach creatively, and communicate effectively. To that end, we look forward to sharing detailed information about grade-level benchmarks, curriculum, and instructional strategies at Curriculum Night on Tuesday, September 24th. In addition to sessions in individual classrooms, PTO Tri-Presidents Jennifer Bekarian, Valerie Davisson, Elsa Janairo, and I will also hold a general session in the auditorium to give an overview of life at Peirce School and ways in which all of you can get involved to make this an outstanding learning community. Please see the evening’s schedule below and note that this event is for adults only. If you are unable to join us on Curriculum Night or would like to preview some of the information that will be available that evening, please see the Newton Public Schools’ Curriculum page at: https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/Pag
Curriculum Night Schedule (Tuesday, September 24th):
6:30-7:10 Grades 3-5 with teachers in classrooms
7:15-7:45 General Session in Auditorium: Principal and PTO Presidents
7:50-8:30 Grades K-2 with teachers in classrooms
7:00-8:15 Specialists in Gym
We encourage all parents to think about ways that you might be able to volunteer your time, talents, and energy in the life of our school. Volunteer opportunities may come in the form of field trip chaperones, room parents, Library helpers, coordinators for special curriculum programs, and other roles that teachers will define. If you are interested in volunteering in the school this year in any role, please be aware that you will need to have active CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) and SORI (Sex Offender Registry Information) forms on file with the school system. These forms are available in the school office and must be resubmitted every three years. Please note that the forms must be returned with a copy of a Driver’s License or other valid picture ID.
If your child will be absent from school for any reason, please call the Student Absence Line at 617-559-9650 before 8:00. Also, please be sure that teachers have accurate information about dismissal routines for your child.
Upcoming Dates and Important Information:
- We hope to see many of you at our Back-to-School Picnic on Friday evening, September 13th, (5:30-7:30 p.m.). Many Thanks to Maggie DeMont, Missy Manis, Holly Umina, and Danielle Williams for all of their hard work to plan this enjoyable community event!
- Thursday, September 19th, is School Picture Day at Peirce.
- Thursday, September 26th, is our first Early Release Date, which means all children are dismissed at 12:30. The afternoon is held for professional development for the staff, and we will be learning about revised Safety and Security Protocols this month. Future Early Release Dates will be: October 30th, December 4th, February 6th, March 19th, and May 7th.
- Monday, September 30th is Rosh Hashanah. There is No School.
- Our first Walk to School Day is Friday, October 4th.
- Wednesday, October 9th, is Yom Kippur. There is No School.
- Monday, October 14th, is Columbus Day. There is No School.
It is a privilege and pleasure to serve as your principal, and I hope that you always feel free to contact me at email@example.com or (617)559-9630 with any questions, thoughts, or concerns. I hope that all of you have a wonderful weekend, and I look forward to the year of learning ahead!
With best wishes,