The Peirce PTO has a board that oversees the PTO operating budget and committee work, and votes on important decisions throughout year to run the organization and support the school. Typically board positions are two-year commitments. The board holds monthly meetings and all Peirce parents are invited to participate. The PTO is organized as a not-for-profit corporation solely for charitable and educational purposes pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 180 and Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or the corresponding provisions of any future applicable law. If you are interested in becoming a board member or want to attend a monthly meeting, please contact us at: [email protected].
2022-2023 Standing Committees represented on the Board:
- Community Impact Committee. Responsible for coordinating initiatives that allow the Peirce community to give back to communities in need around us, whether they support needs in our local community or our extended communities beyond Newton.
- Creative Arts & Sciences Committee. Responsible for representing Peirce School in working with the city-wide Creative Arts & Sciences program, and for organizing and coordinating specific enrichment programs in the arts and sciences for Peirce students. Such programs may encompass music, visual arts, literary arts, the natural and physical sciences, dance, theater, and multicultural experiences.
- Families Organizing For Racial Justice (FORJ) Committee. Responsible for helping all members of the Peirce community learn about race, racism, culture, and identity in society today and nurturing a safe, welcoming environment for all students, parents, and staff at our school. Committee members are also responsible for representing the Peirce school at city-wide FORJ meetings.
- Fundraising Committee. Responsible for coordinating the PTO activities involved in raising funds to support the PTO programs, including but not limited to, annual appeal, bake sales, auctions, t-shirt sales, etc. Specific fundraising events may change from year to year as determined by the Committee and the Board.
- METCO Representatives. Responsible for informing the Board of matters pertaining to the METCO community and serving as a resource to the families of students in the METCO program.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Committee. Responsible for supporting the community to ensure students’ social and emotional learning opportunities and skill development bridge both school and home life, and maintaining communication and involvement with the SEL4Newton.
- Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) Committee. Responsible for informing the PTO Board of matters pertaining to the special education community, serving as a resource to the families of special education students, and maintaining communication and involvement with the Newton SEPAC.
To read the Peirce PTO Bylaws, please click here.